Tuesday, October 14, 2008

My first Horse

My cousin Jill sent me these for my birthday. It was the best present I received. I didn't know she had them! This was the horse I got from my Dad on August 12Th, 1980. Her name was Muffett. She was Quarter Horse and Arab cross. She was amazing, she could jump any jump, spook proof, she never once bucked me off, I rode her in traffic, water,my backyard, everywhere a 12 year old wanted to go. I didn't have anyone to show me how to properly take care of her, so I did many many things wrong. But she was forgiving and kind and put up with so so much!

She was only 15 hands tall, didn't have much of a motor,we never won one race, but boy she could jump anything I set up. I wish I had her now.







I have a soft spot for greys. She always came to me in the pasture, I never had to chase her to be caught. I rode bareback most of the time. She was in a self care barn so every morning and evening I rode my bike to her barn to take care of her. I did this for years..... Often staying well past dark and my folks having to come find me and remind me to come home.


I lived and breathed this horse. We moved to California and unbeknown to me, my parents had given her away before we left. I kept asking about her coming to California, and then someone other than my parents told me she had been given away. It was heartbreaking and it was at that time unforgivable.
I never knew where she ended up, or was ever given updates. It was awful. I had to leave my home, my friends that I had grown up with since age 3, and the final blow was that my horse was NOT COMING. So, know you all know why I get so emotionally attached to my horses. I'll never be a " horse lady", but I do know I'll always have one or two of my own until the day I leave this Earth. Here are a couple of quotes that speak volumes to me.

My horse's feet are as swift as rolling thunder
He carries me away from all my fears
And when the world threatens to fall asunder
His mane is there to wipe away my tears.~Bonnie Lewis


The daughter who won't lift a finger in the house is the same child who cycles madly off in the pouring rain to spend all morning mucking out a stable. ~Samantha Armstrong

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence. ~Pam Brown

1 comment:

Rose of Sharon said...

I remember that horse Jocelyn! I remember how you used to spend all your time at the J&J ranch! One time my Mom and Dad and I walked over to see your horse, in fact, I think I have a picture of me sitting on her! I am so glad that you have these long lost photos of Muffett!

See you Saturday! :0)

Hugs, Sharon