Friday, April 23, 2010

How not to tie your horse 101

So on Saturday after the race, I was fiddling around getting my stuff re organized. Star was on opposite side of the trailer tied because she had managed to dump about 10 buckets of water before I figured out that they needed to be tied up ! DOH!

So, I had tied her up gave her her yummies and about 5 minutes later a gal comes over and says your horse is caught in the rope. OH CRAP!

She was standing patiently and quietly waiting for me to come and free her. No freak outs, not drama just standing there ...........waiting..........
This was a relief because we have practiced this rope tangled/stand quiet technique for a very long time. It actually worked !
It's never too late to learn two things:
1. Don't give your horse enough rope so this happens. Espcially with a horse like Star who stands like a pelican to eat her yummies. The pelican foot was the caught foot.
2. Teach your horse to stand tied, hobbled and or with the rope around it's legs. This was invaluable as it could have been a disaster!
Blocker Tie is being ordered ASAP !

8 comments:

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Thanks for the reminder

JJ said...

WHEW - Star proved that she really is a SUPASTA'!!

j said...

I'm so glad it turned out OK. Sounds like Star was cool as a cucumber.

Mrs. Mom said...

Star rocks. Good teaching Mom ;)

Side note--- went to ER last night prepared to have a tantrum from H*ll. Didn't need to. Found out what is wrong. Now get to find surgeon to ... ready for this? Remove the gall bladder. the stupid thing is just not working at all.

Phew. Tantrums take SO much out of me ;)

Jocelyn said...

Jack: you are most welcome, we all need them from time to time.

Jenny: Thanks, I think so too!

Jen: I know, it would have been a total diaster, the rope was pretty tight under her leg.

MrsM: SHUT UP! Gall Bladder? After all that? Your poor Sweetie!
Good foryou preparing to have a thrown down, to get him taken care of!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Good lesson to be reminded of. Thank goodness Star's got a good head on her shoulders...and remembered her expert training, too. ;-)


~Lisa

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Ps....You know what I would really really appreciate from someone who has camped overnight for an endurance ride?

The lowdown on what to take for the comforts of the rider/camper, especially one without trailer living quarters.

I'd like to start traveling to Competitive Trail Ride events and besides making the trips comfortable and safe for my horse, I'd like to be comfortable and safe, too.

Any tips, advice on wht to bring, what you can live without? How about how to deal with possible issues, situations while camping with your horse?


Thanks bunches!
~Lisa

AareneX said...

Were you at Milwaukee? I saw so many horses yesterday (I was pulsing in camp) that it's all just a blur!

Hobble training: big thumbs UP!!!