Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Princess and the Pea

Well, I was at Drill practice last night and we had a record number of attendees! 14 showed up! WOW! That meant that Sis who is very cold backed did not get her usual 15 minute warm up.
I thought her new shoes from a new farrier might be the culprit and she was sore that was why she was being so foul. um no..... She was balking, humping her back, crow hopping, general nastiness because she did not get her 15 minutes of lunging, showmanship practice and stretches.
Poor Baby.
But I do have to say it was very cold last night we were all miserable 2 legged and 4 legged.

SHE ALMOST HAD ME! I almost called it quits before practice started because I thought her feet were sore... Then when I realized she was being a Bee-Otch, I was furious with her.
How rude of her! So Miss Thang you don't get things your way and you throw a monumental tantrum, you spoiled rotten @$%&*! Oh crap.. she is more like me everyday...

Cold backed was just the beginning, she was ear pinning and foul to all the other horses until at least 40 minutes into practice until she finally chilled. I think she likes drill a lot, when we are actually doing the maneuvers she gets her groove on, but her personal space bubble is going to be a challenge. I think I'm going to have to DOUBLE the Mare Magic ! ha ha ha.

Next I think will definitely be a joint supplement. Too see if that could be her cold backed/my joints ache issue. The Chiro says she is all good spinal, hip and Atlas wise...
Anyone used a Joint Supplement with success?
Shots vs. Powder etc...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm on the fence about oral joint supps and quit using them because the research pointed to expensive pee.

Quiessence is supposed to help with horses with cold backs and bad attitudes.

Heather said...

Good for you Stickin' with it. All of this exposure is sure to be good for the both of you! Can't wait to watch next week!

20 meter circle of life said...

Hi umm Star called the union and you should be hearing from a moderater soon

Jocelyn said...

I am also sure she called her Press Agent and I will be on Animal Cops as well.

strivingforsavvy said...

I use Recovery EQ. It was recommended by my farrier and vet. They both have used the human formula and had positive results!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Oh shoot, JP...just pull out some oil and give that girl a massage. lol!

I'll swear by the joint stuff, especially for humans. I've been using fish oil and glucosamine/chondroiten for over a year for my hip displasia and cannot walk without it (well I can't walk now for 'other' reasons. lol).

I have a friend with a 30 year old mare who's been giving her the joint supplement for the past 2 years and swears by it, too. It used to be her mare was stiff and gimpy when first moving out or being ridden, as well as having difficulty standing up and laying down.
She thought she might have to consider putting her down.

But after a few months of the supplement, she noticed huge improvement. It does take a couple weeks to build up in the system before it's benefits are noticed, though. (It took about 8 days for it work for me and my hips)

But now my friend rides her 30 year old mare on trails and in endurance/trail competitions, and everyone who sees her horse can believe she's 30 yrs old. She feels good, and looks great!

If you decide to try the joint supplement, make sure it has the glucosamine/chondroiten, and be sure to give it 2 weeks before thinking it's not working.

~Lisa